You said “Yes”, took some great photos of the ring, and before you can take a breath you hear “sooooooo, when’s the big day??” Don’t let this set the speed of how wedding planning should go. This is supposed to be a fun and exciting time in your life!! To help you kick things off, here are our top 5 tips to begin wedding planning.
1) Take at least 48 hours to simply celebrate the magic that just happened. If you were the one to propose, there may have been months or YEARS of nervous energy leading up to this one moment. Before taking on the stress of wedding planning, relax and just enjoy being engaged.
2) Discuss the month/season/year you would like to get married. Some couples choose the date first, but unless you have sentimental reasons for choosing a date, we encourage you to keep your options open until you find the perfect vendors. Also, think about your anniversary for years to come —- do you want to travel for your anniversary? Does that mean leaving the winter weather? Or does your job afford you time to travel in the summer? Is it spring break season, or hurricane season in the Caribbean? Just some things to consider!
3) Get an idea of how many guests you’ll be inviting and what your budget is. There’s nothing more disheartening than falling in love with a venue, only to find it’s not an option for one reason or another.
4) It’s tour time! Between venue websites and social media platforms, you’re able to get such a good idea of the space and its amenities. But, there is nothing like stepping into a venue and seeing it in-person! How does it make you feel? Can you imagine the glow of candles and your friends & family socializing during cocktail hour? Is there natural light? What are your photos going to look like? Are there guest accommodations nearby? There’s a lot to consider! In terms of how many venues you should see, there is no correct answer. Some couples know after the first tour, while others check out a handful of venues. Once you view over 6 or 8 venues though, it’s easy to lose the excitement. Check out a venue’s Instagram, view the pricing, and pick those that are the top contenders.
5) Once the venue and date are selected, it’s time to pick your wedding team. We recommend starting with your photographer, videographer, and DJ —- those who generally can only commit to one wedding each night. Once you have this team selected, you can move onto your other vendors (bakery, florist, hotel accommodations, etc).
There’s a lot to think about, no doubt! However, breaking it into little pieces will keep you from getting overwhelmed and make this time in your life a memorable one. Start with these 5 tips to begin wedding planning, and you’ll be saying “I do” in no time. Cheers to you, and everything to come!! XX Hanni